General checks for hp offline printer issue
- Start with the power cable, make sure it's not loose and is well connected to the power supply.
- Check for any paper jam in the paper tray. If there is try to remove the jammed paper.
- Low level of ink some time causes the printer to go offline. If the ink level is low get a refill.
- Check for the printer's connection with the computer. If you have connected the printer via a USB cable, make sure that the USB cable is connected to the USB port properly.
- If you have connected the printer over a WIFI network, make sure that the router is on, and the printer is connected to the WIFI network.
- If the printer is connected through WPS, ensure that the WPS feature is switched on.
Fix hp printer offline error with Hp print and scan doctor tool
Hp has developed a diagnostic tool that runs a series of in-built tests to detect and remove any problem users may be facing with their hp printer. If you are facing the printer offline error, this hp print and scan doctor tool may find out the possible cause for the problem and rectify it. You have to first download and install the Hp print and scan doctor on your computer.
- Open the https://support.hp.com/ page on your browser and download the hp Print and Scan Doctor tool. After the download is complete install the Hp Print and Scan Doctor tool.
- Make sure that the printer is switched on and connected to the computer.
- Now you don't have to do anything, just run the diagnostic tool and it will detect and diagnose the error and fix it.
Restart the print spooler service
If too many print jobs get stuck in the print queue, it is possible that your computer may show printer offline error. Deleting the print jobs in the queue and restarting the print spooler service may bring the Hp printer back online.
- Press the Windows key and R key together. The run dialog box will open up.
- Type services.msc in the search box and press the Enter key.
- Look for the line named Print Spooler. Press the P key on your keyboard; this will help you easily find the Print Spooler service.
- Right-click it, and click the Stop option to stop the service.
- Right-click Print Spooler again.
- Click the Start option
- This will delete any print job in the queue and restart the spooler service.
In some rare case, if you are unable to cancel the print job and restart the print spooler service through window's settings you can use the command prompt to unblock the print queue, stop the print spooler service, remove blocked files from the print queue, and then restart the print service.
- To cancel the print jobs in Windows, via the command prompt, follow these steps :
- Go to the start menu and find the command prompt option.
- Run the cmd as an administrator. You can do so by right-clicking it and choose run as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type net stop spooler and press Enter.
- Then type the following command, you can just copy and paste, del% systemroot% \ System32 \ spool \ printers * / Q
- Press the Enter key to delete all files from the folder printers.
- Restart the Print Spooler service by typing net start spooler in command prompt window and then hitting enter.
Turn off the use printer offline feature in windows settings
- Go to the control panel window and then select the device and printer.
- You will see the printer's icon, right-click it.
- Choose what's printing.
- A pop-up window will appear, on the top left corner of that window you will see printer tab, click on it.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, see if there is a checkmark on, use printer offline option. If there is, remove the checkmark by clicking on it.
- Check if the printer is back online or not.
Download and install the latest Hp printer drivers to fix the Hp printer offline issue
- Go to Hp support and download the page by entering https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers in the browser.
- You have to enter the model number of your printer in the search box and after that click submit.
- A web page will open showing the matching product with the model number you have entered, select it.
- The next will show you the list of available software and drivers to download.
- Select the drivers and click download.
- After the download is finished run the download file and follow the on-screen instruction to install the drivers.
These are some quick fixes, which we are sure will sort out the issue. Even after applying all the above-mentioned fixes, the printer is still offline, then getting assistance from Hp customer support is recommended to fix Hp printer offline.